Saturday 2 June 2012

Memories of Wellington - Wellington Library

In the late 50’s I went to Crudgington School and we had a man who had a guitar called Mr Clay. Our main teacher was Mrs Hindorf. I lived down Crudgington Green and there was a railway station called Crudgington. Sometimes we came to Wellington on the train as a treat. When I was 8 I went to Longden School which isn’t there any more. Ever since then I’ve lived in and around Wellington.
We’d go to dances at the Majestic on a Saturday night.
I worked at Aston’s in Wellington from 1953-1958. This was big furniture shop at the top of New Street and it was the only one of its kind in the town. It’s gone now. They also had a large warehouse in the High Street.
I used to go to the Methodist Youth Club at Ketley Bank. I also took part in the New Street Youth Club and went to the Eisteddfod and won first and second prize in design.

Photo from Wellington in the 1950’s . Park Street Post Office  who sold sweets and confectionaries. My wife lived opposite at Perry’s Cycles and she remembers having ‘Sella’ Cough Sweets as they were not on war time rationing. She remembers going in an getting a quarter of cough sweets which were pink and chewy in the middle and she almost became “addicted” to them by the age of 5!

This photo is from the 1950’s and was my late father-in-law’s shop, prior to that it was his father’s Samuel Perry from the 1890’s. I am sure half the population of the area will remember Bill Perry who kept the shop open six and a half day’s a week.
Courtesy of Ross Vickers.
We lived in the Police House up Wrekin Road. It was a new house and because they’d mixed the mortar in the front garden we were able to grow wonderful pinks in two thick rows. My daughter was about 3 at the Coronation and I can remember a friend offering to take her down to the Coronation celebrations in town. When she came back she was so full of what she’d seen – “ You should have seen the decorations for the Coronation Mummy”. My first washing machine was a Hoover twin tub and you had to have it up close to the sink so that the water didn’t spray everywhere from the rubber hose and it lasted 15 years.
My 2 eldest went to Orelton School and remember Miss Pye the head teacher writing us a lovely letter when she left.

No comments:

Post a Comment