Saturday 2 June 2012

Family and Home Life - Wellington Library

I lived in Liverpool and I left school in 1952 going to work for Liverpool Public Transport for 2 years after which I went to do my National Service. I started in Portsmouth and then went to Deepcut in Surrey and then stayed for 3 years in Didcot, Oxforshire. We lived in temporary accommodation that had been built in 1915 with 24 to a room and the only heating was a potbellied boiler in the middle of the room – it was freezing! Then I went to Germany in the ammunition depot and spent a few years there and moved to Verden. In 1959 I went to Aiden and then Bahrain. We earned 28 shillings a week.
I worked as a secretary and earned £2.45 a week.
I remember we had to take our ration book on honeymoon with us. We lived in a flat first and it cost us what would be £1.50 a week

No comments:

Post a Comment