Saturday 2 June 2012

Entertainment - Wellington Library

During the 1950’s a number of orchestras and Opera Companies went on tour which would visit towns close to us like Luton and Watford for example. I usually managed to get a boyfriend to take me there (although they may not have been as keen as I was!) I loved all the popular dance music and used to collect the lyrics.
I used to like reading the Beano, Dandy, Busterm Knock Out comics. I’d go to the library and read the William books,  Biggles, Dr Doolittle and  you could keep them for 2 weeks. Then I read things like Ethel M dell, Agatha Christie  Barbara Cartland and Forever Amber which was a bit risqué! You could also pay a subscription and go to the Boots library.
We used to go to the pictures once at week in London. They were all in black and white. You could spend ages in there on one ticket as there was the main film B film, an interval followed by music played on the organ and the newsreel – one of the main ways of keeping yourself up-to-date with the current news. They’d come round selling chocolate and because lots of people smoked you’d end up watching the screen through a haze of smoke!

No comments:

Post a Comment