Friday 11 May 2012

Memories of Family and Home Life - Hallcroft

I got married in the 50’s. I had a long dress and veil. My husband came me his extra clothing ration coupons so that I could buy my wedding dress. It cost 13 guineas.

We didn’t have fringes – you had a cold slab on the wall in the pantry to keep your food and milk cold. When it was really hot you’d put the milk in a pail of cold water to keep it cool.

You’d hang your bacon up in there too until it stank! You’d still be able to eat it.

We had a wind up record player and the radio needed batteries called an accumulator. You had to take it to the garage to  get it charged so you had 2 - one that you’d have in the radio and one that you walked down to the garage to get charged.

We had to walk to Bloomsbury garage to get ours charged.

We used to walk miles with the pram.

Washing took all day. We had a boiler with a fire underneath.  You’d rinse the washing into the blue bag to keep your clothes white.

If you had a wasp sting you’d use the blue from the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment