Friday 11 May 2012

Memories of Celebrations - Churchway

I was married in 1952 at Dudley Registry Office. We didn’t have any money. My husband had just done national service so he wore his demob suit and I bought a suit from C & A and my shoes were from M & S where I worked. I borrowed a hat from my sister-in-law and we went back to my Mum’s for the do afterwards. We had a chocolate cake. I remember getting on the bus afterwards and going to the room that we lived in opposite Bilston football ground. The loos were outside and we shared a cooker with 5 families. There was no bath so you had to wash in the sink in the kitchen and remember to lock the door.

I was married about the same time and can remember saving up the sugar from our rations for the wedding cake. It took months and I couldn’t stand the taste of sugar after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment