Saturday 14 July 2012

Fabulous 50's Memories - Clive Dann

Earliest Memories
  • I accompanied my mother, with younger sister in the pram, to the village Welfare Centre. I think this Institution was the forerunner of Health centres
  • There we would obtain 'national dried milk' and a bottle of Orange juice and Cod Liver Oil. They came in medicine size bottles, the former with a blue screw lid, the later a gold lid.  
Conquest of Everest
  • By a British Expedition led by Sir John Hunt was announced during coronation week,
  • The summit was reached by Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tensing
Wartime devastation
  • I remember travelling to Liverpool Docks to visit my Grandparents in Dublin. We passed street after street of rubble; formerly houses and shops before the Blitz
Tramcars in Liverpool
  • Electric trams operated in Liverpool; they were more prevalent than buses. They had long poles on their roofs which connected with overhead high voltage cables. There would be blue flashes of electricity as the poles crossed joining cables
  • I remember my father swearing when the car wheels dropped into a tram track and he struggled to get out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment