Saturday 14 July 2012

Entertainment - Clive Dann

Television
Televisions were only in black and white until the later years of the 50s. There was only one channel for many years; BBC, programmes started early afternoon with Children's Television. Andy Pandy, Muffin the Mule, the adventures of Rin Tin Tin, Roy Rogers, Skippy the Kangaroo and Lassie. I remember a test card featured before transmission started, there was a young girl's face in the centre. Colour and Independent television with advertisements came along in the late 50s

Toys
I had a Hornby Double O electric train set, Dinky toy scale model cars and a meccano set, these were my favourites, they were beautifully made. I had a peddle car that I rode round the garden in, it was a replica of a Wartime American Army Jeep.

Music and Pop Stars
Elvis Presley hit the scene, he was featured in films and on television. he apparently was reluctant to come to Britain
Bert Weedon published books on how to learn the guitar. he actually died only this year

Books and Comics
Enid Blyton wrote 'The Famous Five' series of which there were many. I still had the 'Noddy' books, and the 'Eagle' comic arrived every week. I was a member of the 'Eagle' club; I wore a smart enamel Eagle badge on my school blazer

No comments:

Post a Comment